It was Education Week this week at our school so there were lots of activities for the students to be involved in throughout the week. One that Mrs. A. and I came up with to get the students a chance to be physically active was inspired by the classic board game TWISTER.Monday after school, Mrs. A and I got out the field paint and plastic buckets to create a giant twister board in the field behind the gym. In a matter of minutes the colourful, spotted board was ready to go for the challenging game of coordination and balance.
The K-3 students were very enthusiastic as they got ready to play on Tuesday as were the 4-7 on Thursday. We made some minor rule modifications to keep students involved and interested. For instance, if they fell down, they weren't out they just had to go to the sidelines and complete 10 jumping jacks to get back in. We also made it more challenging by making the board smaller and smaller to get people closer together and more twisted up.
I think all the students enjoyed the game and the fact that it was something a little different for most of them. It was surprising to learn how many students had never heard of Twister before. I wonder what other games they don't know? Maybe next year a giant game of snakes and ladders?




